February 05, 2007

Rants and Raves

My Rant: I have noticed since moving to Encino that sometimes when I tell people where I live they get this kinda impressed look on their face, like “ooohhh FAN cee.” That is probably because there are some really good parts of Encino, just ask Moon Unit and MJ- - they’ll tell ya.

I, however, do not live in one of the really good parts of Encino. In fact I might as well be living in Van Nuys. Apparently in my corner of Encino, it is acceptable to drag race down a quiet suburban street at 3:30 am, just ask my neighbors - - they’ll tell ya.

I have been down for the count with the flu for the past few days. Last night I was finally getting a decent night’s sleep until I heard the sound of a jet engine landing in my front yard. I peaked out the window and saw the newest car in my neighbor’s ever growing collection being parked in front of my house. The parking space was not to neighbor’s liking however, because he found it necessary to circle the block at a rather high rate of speed no less than three more times before finally parking in front of his own house and letting the jet engine idle for another 15 minutes. At this point, I sadly abandoned my hopes of sleep and got up to finish my book.

This morning I took a closer look. I think the transmission is gone but check out those bitchen rims.


My Rave: Although I live decidedly north of the Blvd, I also live very close to one of the largest urban parks in Los Angeles. Tonight was unseasonably warm. After I picked up MyKid, we decided to stop by the lake on the way home from preschool for an hour or so before going home to the grind of dinner, whining, bath, argument, story, tantrum, bed.

It ended up to be one of those really nice low-key special moments. The sunset was beautiful. Lots of people were out and about and in good moods. Other moms smiled at us and we smiled back. It felt a bit like summer in February. And best of all, MyKid went to bed relatively easily tonight. Sigh . . .

No comments: